Monday, June 15, 2009

Ottawa CAS Continues Blocking Memberships

The Executive Director of the Ottawa Children's Aid Society, Barbara MacKinnon has been stonewalling the attempts of local children's rights advocate, and former Crown Ward (Foster Child) John Dunn to obtain a membership with the Society for approximately four years and continues to do so today.

In a recent series of e-mails to MacKinnon, Dunn has asked to meet with the Society for the purpose of discovering why the Society has blocked his attempts to join the Society without reason, how long the ban is in place, and how he can work to improve his chances of becoming a member of the Society in the future.

MacKinnon has refused to respond so far.


The latest e-mail is shown below.

Please feel free to contact Barbara MacKinnon by asking for her at 613-747-7800 and let her know how you feel about her ignoring such a reasonable request and suggest to her how she should deal with the matter as it is in the public interest that she do so as the head of an organization which is 100% funded by your taxes.

On June 15, 2009 Dunn sent the following e-mail.

On February 13th, April 03rd, April 09th, May 21st, May 28, June 01, and June 08, 2009 I sent requests to you seeking a meeting to discuss the following.

1. Whether or not the Society would accept a membership application from me, and if not, for how long, and;
2. What the Society's reasons are for not accepting a membership application from me so that I can then know what I can do to work toward being accepted as a member of the Society in the near future.


It has been approximately four months at this point since I asked you for a meeting and have not heard a response from you. Can you please respond at your earliest convenience to let me know if you would meet with me to discuss the above noted questions.

As it appears to date, I am having my membership application with the Society banned for life because I do advocacy related to holding child-welfare authorities accountable for their actions, and for assisting youth in care with questions they have and situations they are dealing with.

As you will remember, I dropped the charge against you personally under the Corporations Act last year in a gesture of good faith to attempt to establish a more professional working relationship between us. Although I appreciate the fact that you have always been polite to me in person when I appear at meetings of the Board of Directors of the Society, I still feel that when it comes down to the topic of me becoming a member of the Society we have a lot of ground to cover in repairing our relations.

I am sincerely looking forward to your response in regard to this matter. For your convenience, I have also enclosed (below) the Feb. 13th, April 03rd, April 09th, May 21st, May 28, June 01st and June 08th 2009 Membership Inquiries mentioned above.


Sincerely
John Dunn
Executive Director
The Foster Care Council of Canada
http://www.afterfostercare.ca


An earlier e-mail of February 13, 2009 was sent by Dunn with no response from MacKinnon to date.

From: afterfostercare@hotmail.com
To: barbara.mackinnon@casott.on.ca
CC: irwin.elman@provincialadvocate.on.ca; ahorwath-qp@ndp.on.ca; jim.watson@ontario.ca; julia.munro@pc.ola.org
Subject: Membership Inquiry
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:02:55 -0500

Barbara MacKinnon

The last time I called and talked to the Society for the purpose of asking for a meeting with you so that I could learn what the reasons were for my individual membership application being denied, and to find out what I can do to improve my chances of having my membership application approved, I was told by your receptionist at the time that you had no further information to discuss regarding this at that time.

As you are aware, I have never been provided answers explaining why the Society thinks I have acted in ways which do not demonstrate a genuine interest in the objectives of the Society, other than for them to have written that it is their belief that I have.

Now, several years later, I would like to ask of you once again, and especially since you have met me several times in person and I have never demonstrated any reason for you to be fearful of me in any way, whether yourself, and any members of the Board of Directors, especially those on the Membership Committee such as Tracy Engleking, and Brian McKee would meet with me, for the purpose of discussing whether or not the Society would accept a membership application from me, and if not, for how long, and what the Society's reasons are for not accepting a membership application from me, so that I can then know what I can do to work toward being accepted as a member of the Society in the near future.

Currently, I meet all of the eligibility criteria for membership with the Society, as I am over the age of 18, I live in the Society's jurisdiction, and I have repeatedly, actively, and publicly demonstrated a genuine interest in the objectives of the Society which as I understand them to be are as follows:

1) protecting the children and youth of our community from all forms or abuse and neglect.

2) working to keep them safe and secure, both within their families and the communities in which they live

3) helping raise awareness of the important work undertaken by the Society

4) promoting the notion that the well-being of children and youth is the responsibility of the whole community

Please respond and let me know if I can meet to discuss this matter.


Sincerely
John Dunn
Executive Director
The Foster Care Council of Canada
http://www.afterfostercare.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment